Saturday, November 8, 2014

QCX 2014



Dreamers, achievers and Ka-Barbers. Five short films made up my first QCinema experience. Majority of the reviews will be in English but I also used some Filipino words to further express my thoughts. This won’t be in chronological order.

SENIOR (Jed Medrano): 2.5/5
The first scene made me remember Islands. I have to give this some credit for being realistic, at least in the first half. I dealt with a lot of senior citizens in my previous work and I can assure you that they are like these characters. Most of them are friendly to their fellow senior. They tend to ask irritating questions and they take advantage of their age. (“Buena mano”, “birthday ko ngayon”, “sige na. nakakapagod pumila eh”) Well, helping the elderly is a good Filipino trait. The biggest problem of the film is that the second half is unnecessary. It could’ve ended in a sweet note by letting them watch Nora Aunor’s films, but no! It has to be melodramatic! Someone must have a fatal sickness and the other one must know it! The last shot is so ridiculous. A misplaced ID in the comfort room doesn’t stay in the comfort room. Kitang-kita yung ID sa may salamin pero wala man lang nagsabi sa guard? Okay sana kung nahulog nalang sa lapag pero hindi eh. Pwede ring may pumulot at iniwan sa sobrang obvious na pagkakaayos pero di Malabo pa rin eh. That end brought my ratings down big time.

TILA (Rob Jara): 3.5/5
And that, kids, is how I did not met your mother. I liked this film a lot until I read the synopsis. Damn, that was a huge spoiler! The flooded room looked good but it had a lot of flaws. Engineering student siya pero di niya alam paano ayusin tong kwarto niya. Kahit itaas lang ng five inches yung sampayan at kurtina, wala. I also don’t know if they’re trying to prove a point in Paolo O’Hara’s cameo. However, the leads looked cute together, the film was short (o sobrang haba lang siguro ng iba), cinematography was good and it made me want to eat some Lucky Me Supreme Bulalo.

BONIFACIO (Grace Simbulan): 2.5/5
It’s an okay Maalaala mo Kaya episode that you will forget the next day. So melodramatic to a fault but Lito Pimentel was good. Eto yung tipong naabutan mo lang sa TV pero tinatamad kang abutin yung remote kaya nanood ka nalang at medyo natripan mo siya kahit sobrang obvious na sobrang haba at sobrang OA ng mga eksena. Sumobra lang talaga. They should make a spin-off for the kid sitting behind the father’s chair in the school because that girl is so kaawa-awa. Kaya nga “find your height” ang usong seating arrangement sa elementary schools eh. Wait, eto yung bully sa Blue Bustamante ah!

SA NGALAN NI ULTIMATE WARRIOR
(Miko Livelo): 2.5/5
The biggest reason why I watched QCX was because of Blue Bustamante. I loved that movie so much I can’t miss this spin-off. It’s hard for me to say it but I’m very disappointed with this. I’m a WWE fan when I was a kid and I still watch Royal Rumble and WrestleMania yearly. We threw each other in our beds, broke some bones (seryoso, masakit ma-Walls of Jericho) and did tons of wrestling moves and poses. The kids in here felt like they have no idea about WWF, WWE or even the UFC. All they did were fake punching, cuddling and fake alliances. Hindi costumes at never-ending stories ang dahilan bat pumatok sa mga bagets ang WWE. It’s the idea of idolizing superheroes. We have no Avengers before but we had Rey Mysterio, the Degeneration X and even the weakling Hurricane. This film focuses on the death joke of Ultimate Warrior without realizing that it can touch way bigger stories than that. Dennis Padilla’s speech is so long, so redundant and so Marcelo Santos III. Despite this film’s drawbacks, it still has that fun and nostalgic element in Blue. It made me remember the day when I knew that Eddie Guerrero died, and that’s one of the most painful news I’ve heard (sunod sa pagkamatay ni Michael Jackson at pag-friendzone sakin ng isang girlaloo). I still remember him every time I hear Three Doors Down’s “Here Without You”. At least, the film got the gist that we should not remember their death but engrave the memories they gave to us. Kulit din ng cameo nila Bayaw.


ANG NANAY NI JUSTIN BARBER
(Victor Villanueva): 4.5/5
Dapat ganito ang ginagawa ni Wenn Deramas, di yung shitty films niya na “nagrereflect” daw sa buhay ng mga Pilipino. To be fair, the film has a lot of flaws and it could’ve been better (like seeing Barber being boo’d in public), but I took it as a timely and surprisingly entertaining satire. Kahit masama sa kalooban natin, sobrang daming singer-kuno ang kumikita ngayon. Ika nga Giselle Sanchez, “Kung kaya ni Anne Curtis, kaya rin ni Justin.” I like how it focused on a failed nepotism career because a successful nepotism career won’t be funny. I understand if you hate the film because they gave some heart into Mrs. Barbers. Just like you, I also hate people like her but I think that what she heard from Justin’s #1 fan is enough. Konsensya niya nalang yan. It’s like a tragedy in the making because her son won’t be famous anyway… unless he becomes a puppet of ABS because they can make anyone shine and have a sold-out concert in Araneta Coliseum. Tamang uto lang para sa mga uto-uto. Lastly, the film is constantly funny, perfect on delivering its punch lines and it made some memorable jokes like the PGT contestant-like tarpaulin, the Walang Tulugan guesting, the bongga bongga longga longga Barber’s Longanisa and this motherloving ugly but catchy song.

 
Overall: Barber's and Tila made my hundred pesos worth it but the others were okay. I give this a 7-11 TASTY BURGER 3/5!

Click the photo below to see the QCinema sched:


You can follow me @ https://twitter.com/emiLegendary | http://erevs.wordpress.com | http://emzreviews.tumblr.com  or add me on FB @ https://www.facebook.com/emilegendary if you enjoy the review. Thanks for reading! J