Sunday, November 16, 2014

ESPRIT DE CORPS

♫ Esprit de Corps, Esprit de Corps, Can’t hold it back anymore 

To tell you the truth, I’m quite a homophobe when it comes to this kind of film. As much as people are praising Quick Change, Kasal and other films with men-to-men nudity, I still didn’t see them. I love Maximo Oliveros and Rent but there was something inside of me that’s afraid of seeing gay films in a theatre. Because of the intriguing teaser and positive reviews from some of my friends, I finally went out and saw a gay-themed film on the big screen.

Even if it’s full of nudity and homosexual lust, it’s not your typical “Recto film” (an underground indie that’s made for horny gays and male prostitutes). The long takes, I mean 30 minutes looong takes, are magnificent and thrilling even if you know how it builds up to. It’s like watching a Lars Von Trier and not having an erection because of its fascinating execution. Yeah, I can confidently say that I was not aroused at the sex and erotic convos. What I do felt was Sandino Martin (Abel) and Lharby Policarpio’s (Cain) exhaustion. We may have a threesome for the Best Actor award but JC Santos (Mac) is definitely the alpha male among them. He has that charismatic angst that makes you wanna follow all his crap. The film is good in showing the contrasting characteristics of Cain and Abel and I have to praise Kanakan-Balintagos for his impressive direction on these actors and the camerawork. My favourite scene was when Abel recited the “What’s a Kiss” poem and the camera is just circling them in an 'infinity sign' motion. I also like how it ended in a sincere way. Lastly, I remembered Mike De Leon’s Batch ’81 while watching this. They have the same theme of traditional punishment.

However, the short scenes felt flat and cheesy. They have something to say, but they weren’t subversive enough. Take for instance the Cain and Abel swimming pool convo. They are saying something about being bold and free but the poses they do while saying these are distracting. It’s like they’re advertising an underwear garment. Also, Mac’s flashback should have been deleted. Lastly, there was no gayot na gayot (super macho) dude. Clearly, there has to be a homophobe among these soldiers.

Esprit de Corps will give you a bold illustration of what is the essence of being a man. You can become as manly as you want. No one can force you to change your sexual preference but love knows no bounds and a real man faces them with pride.

Bigyan ng burger ang matakaw na si Shawn, ti-tibay ‘yon...
BIG MAC TASTY BURGER 3.5/5!


If public nudity will be legal for one day, where would you go first?

You can follow me @ https://twitter.com/emiLegendary | http://erevs.wordpress.com | http://emzreviews.tumblr.com  or add me on FB @ https://www.facebook.com/emilegendary if you enjoy the review. Thanks for reading! J