Friday, October 24, 2014

GONE GIRL

(You Don’t Mess with the Woman)
You’re done, Nick Dunne. Done! Done, motherf*cker! Duuuuuuuunne!

David Fincher is known for his twisted stories and mind-blowing revelations. His latest masterpiece shows how bizarre yet predictable society is today. I can name seven non-Fincher films that this movie reminded me of. Skip the next two paragraphs if you wish to avoid spoilers.

I haven’t read Gillian Flynn’s big hit but I kinda feel its resembling style to Filth and Flipped, where two opposing sexes’ narrate their side of the story consecutively. The movie is successful in putting its audience in Nick’s (Ben Affleck) shoes as America slowly made him the next Truman Burbank. News anchors were sillier than Ron Burgundy. Objectification and sexual bias were rampant. Reality and talk shows had the highest ratings. Scandals were the most trending topics and people can be easily manipulated by publicity stunts. I believed and slightly sympathized with him because he’s our main guy but there’s still that doubt because he does dumb shit and he’s obviously sick of his wife. 

The twist is predictable but it was presented magnificently, as if I'm watching an awesome Dexter episode. That "cool girl" statement hit me because I'm one of those men who dreams of having a girl like that. It made me realize that ladies endures more pain than dudes, even if showbiz is favoring the female society today with its so-called "reality TV" and romantic comedies. Amy (Rosamund Pike) is surely amazing but the movie reached new heights the moment Tanner (Tyler Perry) entered the story. It became Fatal Attraction meets Death Becomes Her meets Catching Fire up to the horrifying end. Tanner Bolt was Haymitch, Ellen Abbott (Missy Elliot) as the ever-biased Ceasar Flickerman and the amazing Dunnes were Peeta and Katniss. That baby revelation shit made me say, “Man, that shit was f*cked-up!"

What made this my 2nd favorite Fincher film are its humor, social statement and un-Fincher-ish flavour. There are some Fight Club / Zodiac similarities but most of it felt genuine. It’s the first time that Fincher made me giggle continuously. I love this absurd yet almost realistic world he created. The film lingers in us the more we think of it. However, the movie won’t certainly please everyone. There are Fincher fans who won’t like its un-Fincher-ness. It’s also not the perfect date movie, unless your partner is cool. Sexism is also an issue. Some say this movie is a misogynist, others see it as feminist. Both opinions are sexist, for me. I just came here to see an awesome film… and I was more than surprised by what I saw. I’m just more sympathetic with Nick because I’m a dude and that bitch went so far. This might also win the Best Original Musical Score category.

We see perfection the way that media represents it to be. We see it through pretty, rich, adventurous couples like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt had. Ben and Rosamund were like that. Affleck showed a good balance of laidback and introversion that made Nick more suspicious. Pike will definitely get nominations for showing a lot of range from being a cute chick to becoming a treacherous bitch. I’ve always believed that Tyler Perry is a good actor even if many of his films suck. It’s a long shot but I hope that Kim Dickens will be acknowledged for her strong performance as the only sane woman in the film. I don't wanna sound like a pervert but Emily Ratajkowski's breasts are larger than her head. Sadly, Desi (Neil Patrick Harris) and the couple’s parents were one-dimensional characters, but I’m still okay with NPH because his house reminded me of the Fortress of Barnitude and the Barnana made a cameo. If you ever find a girl who really, really... really likes Adam Sandler, marry her.

Gone Girl is a menacing, timely and thought-provoking satire on marriage, justice and gender equality. Films like this and the Social Network make the Finchmeister one of the most relevant filmmakers of the 21st century.

I hope Amazing Amy is not lactose intolerant because this film is LEGEN-wait for it-DAIRY 5/5!

You can follow me @  https://twitter.com/emiLegendary | http://erevs.wordpress.com | http://emzreviews.tumblr.com  or add me on FB @ https://www.facebook.com/emilegendary if you enjoy the review. Thanks for reading the first serving of The Movie Bud. You just became a part of the exquisite history. J