Saturday, July 11, 2015

FULLY LOADED REVIEWS V: WPFF 2015

Here are my reviews for the four and a half Filipino films I saw in the first World Premieres Film Festival that I’ve attended.

OF SINNERS AND SAINTS (Ruben Maria Soriquez)
- No rating because I only saw the second half of the film due to WPFF’s poor scheduling. The action pieces were meticulously done even if we’ve seen it a lot.

FILEMON MAMON (Will Fredo): ★★½☆☆
- A charming mess. It sacrificed coherence to address its advocacy on nutrition, heroism, friendship, self-acceptance, public schools’ lack of funding and so much more. I had an extremely hard time deciding if I should give it a higher score because I was laughing through it, particularly the hospital scene, but I realized that the film forgot to address one huge important message: Do well in academics.

All we saw from the characters, who were dressed inappropriately and looked older than they should be, are extra-curricular activities. Noli Me Tangere and Geometry were mentioned, but we didn’t see or feel them study hard. However, I still want this to be seen in elementary schools because its heart is in the right place. The veggies vs junk foods fliptop is epic. Hooray for Pinoy musical films!

EPIC LINE: “Bakit? Lalaki lang ba ang pwedeng mag-Andres Bonifacio?”

ANG KWENTO NATING DALAWA (Nestor Abrogena): ★★★½
- Most films cut the travelling scene, which is usually one of the biggest parts of the day. This is where we sometimes think of ourselves, what we have done in our lives and what are our plans for tomorrow, especially when we are late for school or work. The film relies on how far you can relate to these characters. I was lost in the middle with their privileged college student lifestyle but it picked up big time from the taxi scene up to the end. There is that tension and desire to stop time. I’ve been in that situation where you’re sure on how it will end and you’re just stalling it from happening. The last scene was appropriate even if the original ending could’ve probably affect me more, from what I’ve heard. Don’t read the synopsis because it’s a huge spoiler.

Doroteo Jose > Batanes & Sagada
Photos taken on Doroteo Jose LRT station footbridge

AN KUBO SA KAWAYANAN (Alvin Yapan): ★★★★½
- Menacingly beautiful. It’s hard to put into words how modest yet extremely ambiguous this film is. Mercedes Cabral’s exceptional performance, together with the oddness of the titular setting, continuously haunts me and I won’t be pretentious enough to say that I completely understood the film. From my understanding, it’s a poetic love letter to our uncanny nation that we should preserve and care for as if they’re part of us. Even if it’s not my top favorite Filipino film, it’s surely the best this year has offered so far. Man, those tinikling-tahi-pukpok and bamboo POV scenes are jaw-dropping.

Quoting my favorite line from American Beauty that I remembered from its last scene…
“It’s hard to stay mad when there’s so much beauty in the world. Sometimes, I feel like I’m seeing it all at once and it’s too much. My heart fills up like a balloon that’s about to burst. And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it. And then it flows through me like rain. And I can’t feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life. You have no idea what I’m talking about I’m talking about, I’m sure. But don’t worry… you will someday.”

Congratulations to the winners!

A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS FILIPINO (Lamberto V. Avellana, Remastered 1965 version, based on a play written by Nick Joaquin): ★★★★★
- What a perfect film to restore! This film is primarily about heritage and preservation, made possible by combining two national artists’ vision that resulted to a timeless masterpiece. It’s perhaps my 4th time to watch this film since high school. I’ve also read and seen the play, portrayed by Dimples Romana, AJ Dee and Paw Diaz. I still memorize and cry at the last oration of it. Remastered or not, it’s still as gorgeous and as timely as before. Seeing this film is a blessing. Well done, FDCP! Now, post it on Youtube and share it to everyone because the people deserve it.


I rarely describe the synopsis of a movie but it feels necessary to tell everyone what this classic play is about. Set in Intramuros before the 2nd World War, the story centers on two old and unmarried sisters named Paula and Candida, portrayed by Naty Crame-Rogers and another national artist Daisy H. Avellana, as they face struggles with their finance, pride, obnoxious boarder and a portrait, given to them by their father, that they refuse to sell even for a remarkably expensive price.

The war has ended, the film reached its golden year, but almost everything stayed the same. Manila is still in poverty. Artists are still being sell-outs. Vic Silayan is still radiantly handsome on screen. But there are still those people like Bitoy Camacho, who preserves the legacy and grace of his culture. I’m not sure if I’m one of those guys who can sacrifice everything for my city but I believe that Manila, the place where I grew up and stayed for two decades, is not dead. It might not happen today or in my lifetime but it shall rise again. Let’s not be a Nietzsche about it.

Haven’t seen the musical version but I’m counting on the movie adaptation to be epic.
You’re move, “Ang Larawan”.