Tuesday, July 7, 2015

THE BREAKUP PLAYLIST

Para sa Breakup Playlist. She’s Dating the Breakup Playlist. Bakit Hindi Ka Crush ng Breakup Playlist Mo? Breakup Playlist Over Again. Iba’t ibang title, iba’t ibang bida, iba’t ibang quotable quote ngunit iisa lang halos ng atake. That Thing Called Star Cinema. Pero ibang klase din talaga sila Dan Villegas at Antoinette Jadaone. Pagkatapos ko mangamba para sa mga susunod nilang gagawin after E.O.P. at ma-umay sa You’re My Boss, nand’yan na naman sila, tinutukso-tukso ang aking puso.

This is not your typical love story. Well, I guess this thing happens to a lot of people… but this is not your typical Star Cinema love story. There were jokes on minimal basis, but the film is more of a character study than a romcom. It’s great seeing how these characters evolve like you’ve been with them for a long time. The family element was quite heartbreaking, especially because we knew early what happened to them after the breakup. I’m also fond of “be careful what you wish for because you just might get it” stories so the writing got me hooked. The direction, though, made it fresh and contemporary. There were scenes where the cinematography carried the actors and their music. Nakaka-miss din yung panahong may kwenta pa ang top ten best selling albums sa Odyssey at Astrovision. Ngayon kasi unti-unti na silang naglalaho at maraming boses ewan na ang nangunguna. Basta sikat at mapagkakakitaan, go! Silver! Platinum! Araneta! Shet.

“Sa susunod, kung may gusto ka sabihin, sabihin mo nang harapan, hindi yung dinadaan mo sa kanta.”
- Matamaan ka naman, Taylor Swift

From being just a pretty face to doing serious roles and becoming one of the leading men of Lav Diaz’s upcoming film, Piolo did changed for the past decade. Same goes to Sarah who leveled up from patwitam-twitam roles. Some will question Sarah Geronimo (Trixie) and Piolo Pascual’s (Gino) chemistry. I was bothered at them at first because Piolo looked a lot older than her in the flashbacks, but I realized why they liked each other as it goes on. Trixie liked Gino for his charming looks, bad boy attitude and mostly the fact that he can make her artistic dreams come true. Gino, on the other hand, liked Trixie for her talent and enthusiasm. I love how this film addressed and developed their conflict. It’s always that effing pride that makes us do or say awful things to our loved ones. Kahit hindi natin sinasadya, nabitawan na eh… at tatatak yun sa tao nang matagal na panahon.

“Sana gano’n kadaling makalimot, pero ang hirap pala, lalo na ‘pag siya yung pangarap mo. Yung pangarap mo na matagal mong pinagkatiwalaan, yung pinaniwala ka na ito na, nahanap mo na siya. Yung magpapasaya sa’yo, yung hindi ka sasaktan. Pag-aalayan mo ng mga kanta mo, ng buhay mo. Paano mo makakalimutan yung gano’n.”

But don’t get me wrong. The movie has a handful of flaws. Product placements, overstuffed cameos and one awkward hugot line and I quote, “Alam mo, do me a favor? Huwag mo na akong patayin ulit!” Things like those that I dislike about Star Cinema somehow downgrades our trust for the film, but I feel the filmmakers’ desire to veer them out of the way by showing a little importance in these scenes. Like in the GrabTaxi scene, which I got focused on the product placement so I missed a very important detail in it. Gino was also a sugar-coated character. I think that the film could’ve made more impact if there were drugs involved but it’s PG-13, kahit karamihan ng napapanood ng mga bata sa TV ay kalandian at kabastusan. The last act/track was rushed. There was no build-up on a character’s resolution and there is one huge thing that bugged me: (Spoiler ahead) Why didn’t Trixie’s friend notified her and kept the playlist for three years?

Before I give my final verdict, I have to say that the soundtrack is disappointing. No musical score and there are songs that weren’t used in the movie. “Paano Ba Ang Magmahal?” was very catchy and I’m seeing a lot of pabebe girls singing to it once the pirated version come out. Ganyan naman dito eh. Mas sikat pag napirata na. Nood-nood din sa sinehan kapag may time.

The Breakup Playlist is a heartfelt character study that doesn’t rely on form, quotable quotes, unrealistic scenarios, manipulative musical scores and handsome actors to tell an engaging story and to deliver genuine emotions to its audience. It’s a brave move for a Pinoy mainstream film that some won’t appreciate as much as I did. But I say to you that this, along with My Amnesia Girl, are the reasons why I still believe in romantic movies and why I despise One More Chance and Marcelo Santos-flavored films.

PARESTASTIC ★★★★½

If you’re to ask me if I believe in “Forever”, that only Feelipinos care about today, I’d say to you that forever can be true… but forever won’t enough if you really love the person. Ikanta nalang natin ‘yang forever-forever na yan!

You can follow me @ https://twitter.com/emiLegendary | http://erevs.wordpress.com | http://emzreviews.tumblr.com  or add me on FB @ https://www.facebook.com/emilegendary if you enjoyed the mini reviews. Thanks for reading!