Saturday, October 25, 2014

WHIPLASH

And if you wanna be a teacher’s pet, well baby you just better forget it 
No doubt that this is the underdog film of the 87th Academy Awards. It’s a crowd-pleaser but the inspirational story, superb acting, uplifting music and enthralling cinematography made this bag Sundance's major awards.

Do you remember Drumline? That shit was awesome, right? But this is the shit! Aside from the overpowering performances, you just can’t help but be in love with the music and cinematography. I’m extremely impressed on how Damien Chazelle made my feet involuntary. This might win the Best Sound Mixing and Best Cinematography categories if Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar will not be overrated. Neyman’s search of self-pride is relatable. I also hate it when people compare me to people with higher grades or cooler jobs. Dafuq do I care? This movie made me remember my most annoying teachers and realize how their harsh teachings affected me. They only meet three students: those who give up, those who continue learning and those who try to bring them down with them. The film did a great job in showing these three personas.

"Are you a rusher, are you a dragger, or are you going to be on my f*cking time?!"
Miles Teller (Neyman) is one of the best actors of this generation. We’ve seen him act his ass off in The Spectacular Now. He was also good in his little roles in That Awkward Moment and Project X. I just can’t say anything bad about the guy. What I can say is that he reminds me of John Cusack. Miles has a higher chance than Michael B. Jordan (Fruitvale Station) of being nominated at the Oscars. He outshined Jesse Eisenberg in The Social Network and matched J.K. Simmons’ (Fletcher) commanding performance in here. I’ll be damned if Simmons will not be nominated because he perfectly balanced the vulnerable and ruthless attitude of Fletcher. He was more humane than Gordon Ramsay and Simon Cowell even if he’s more ruthless than them.

Warning: Skip this paragraph if you don’t want to read spoilers. I said a lot of good things but the movie wasn’t polished enough for a perfect score. The movie felt slow when JK and Miles are not together and I can’t buy that bloody second act, even if the car crash surprised the shit out of me. I won’t let a wounded, exhausted drummer play in front of me if I was one of the judges. I dunno. Maybe people are that cruel and determined in the jazz industry. To end this review with a sweet note, I love the Godfather 2 reference. “I know it was you, Fredo”

Whiplash is a nearly-perfect film about perfection. It’s the most electrifying, jaw-dropping, head-banging, base-pumping movie of the year. Not my Oscar bet but it will definitely win everyone’s heart. I hope that this will be as crazily famous as Pitch Perfect once the DVD comes out.

Drumroll please… 
Whiplash is BACONTASTIC 4.5/5!

Were you like this after watching Whiplash?

You can follow me @  https://twitter.com/emiLegendary | http://erevs.wordpress.com | http://emzreviews.tumblr.com  or add me on FB @ https://www.facebook.com/emilegendary if you enjoy the review. Thanks for reading the second serving of The Movie Bud. J